Sales Advice: Two Choices for a Successful Career
- Written by Michael Pedone
- 1228 views
When we are unwilling to make excuses or place blame we have taken a powerful and necessary step to defining and achieving our success.
"What's the BEST Sales Advice You’ve Ever Received?"
The best sales advice I've ever received is:
"Learn from those who’ve already accomplished what it is that you are after"
One of my first sales jobs, I was hired along with 15 or so other "sales reps" that all had various lengths of experience. Several of them were "in the game" for a long time and others were brand new, just like me.
During orientation, the company brought in some of their top sales performers to share their knowledge on what to do to be successful at this particular job / company.
It didn't take long before a couple of those who were in my group to start denouncing or challenging the sales advice of those who were already at the top (ironically, those with the "most experience" in my group seemed to usually be the ones who complained the most and said the top performers advice was all wrong)
Before you knew it, those "naysayers" were looking for another job, and spewing excuses and placing blame everywhere but themselves while on their way out the door.
WE ALL HAVE TWO CHOICES
When sales don't happen fast enough, it gets real easy to start making excuses. And that's a road to disaster.
We all have two choices:
1. Take ownership and do what it takes to become successful. Or...
2. Blame the leads, the manager, the company, the economy etc.
When we are unwilling to make excuses or place blame we have taken a powerful and necessary step to defining and achieving our success. Do the opposite and you get the alternative results as well.
Learning from those who've already achieved what it is that you are after yields far better results than does listening to the advice of someone who hasn't.
I don't remember who it was that shared this advice to me, but I do remember how easy it was to "buy in" to the advice of those who weren't being successful and how their "excuses" for failure made "so much sense", that they had to be right!
But somewhere along the (very fortunate) way for me, the light bulb went on and I realized there are two sides of the coin... And when I rejected the excuses, and sought after and hung on to every word of those who were already living the lifestyle I wanted, only then did things truly start to turn around. And Fast!
- How much do you really need to know before making a sales call?
- 3 Lead Generating Sales Prospecting Solutions
- How To Reduce Sales Anxiety?
- Is Your Sales Pipeline Jammed?
- Are You Tired Of Second Place Proposals?
- Your Sales Message May Have An Opposite Effect
- How to Sell In A Competitive Market
- Why an Unreasonable Sales Quota is a Good Thing
- Think Like An Attorney, Close More Sales!
- Reaching New Sales Quotas in 2013
- Create a Win-Win Sales Solution During the Holidays
- Qualifying Leads and The Budget Question
- Selling Principles Over Tactics
- How Do You Deal With A Rejection Email?
- 3 Questions to Ask Yourself Before Starting a New Career
- Prospecting: "Not Wanting to Interrupt" Doesn't Fly With Me
- How Do You Manage "Talk Time" Selling Activities?
- Cold Calling? Here's One of the Corner Stones to Successful Inside Sales
- Getting Over the Objections and Graduating into a Sales Career
- Do You Have Cold Call Anxiety?
- Understanding Voicemail Strategies that Increase Your Callbacks
- Do You Have the Right Approach with Prospecting on LinkedIn?
- How Do You Attempt A Follow-Up Call?
- Here's a Tip to Get Through the Gatekeeper
- 3 Steps Towards Making Yearly Sales Targets
- What Happens When a Prospect Misses Your Incentive Deadline?
- How to Become a Top Salesperson
- Prospecting Sales Strategy: Sales Lessons from Celebrity Apprentice
- "If You Don't Like the Answer, Ask a Better Question!"
- Improve Your Prospecting Skills: Are You Emailing First or Calling First?
- 3 Steps for Salespeople to Remain Accountable for Sales Goals
- Opening Value Statements that can Lead to Failure!
- Sales Goals: Easy Changes Lead to Big Results
- Reach Your Full Potential this New Year and Have Record-Breaking Success
- Help Your Prospects Get What They Want During The Holidays
- Salespeople and The Moment of Doubt
- Learn to Make Positive Progress Selling During Desperate Times
- Voicemail Mistakes: Why Prospects Hit the Delete Button
- Helping Salespeople Reach the Next Level
- The Reason Why Your Sales Tips Are Failing
- Do You Really Know How to Separate Yourself From the Competition?
- Techniques to Improve Your Pipeline and Produce New Business
- Are You Solving Your Prospects Problems?
- How Do You Know If A Prospect Wants To Become A Client?
- Best Practices to Deal With Nosy Receptionists
- How to Limit Social Selling And Keep Your Pipeline Full
- Tips for a Better Sales Call - Do This, Not That!
- The Key Ingredient to BIGGER Commission Checks
- Cold Calling: Three Opening Statement Mistakes
- The Probability Gene - Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
- Customers or Advocates?