Last week, I got a request for questions that could be used during the close or presentation stage. That was a good question, and today’s feature article will cover 5 of my favorites. These questions will vary from taking a prospect’s pulse to see if they are with you, to finding out if a benefit you just listed would work for them, all the way to a trial close.
I get a lot of Ezine topic requests each week, and the majority of them are requests for different questioning techniques to use during the qualification stage. I’m glad to see these requests because it means people understand the importance of identifying and then spending time with buyers.
I've written many feature articles over the years that address these kinds of questions, and if you've missed any of them I encourage you to pick up a copy of my best-selling book on how to double your income selling over the phone. It’s called, “The Real Secrets of the Top 20%”.
Last week, however, I got a request for questions that could be used during the close or presentation stage. That was a good question, and today’s feature article will cover 5 of my favorites. These questions will vary from taking a prospect’s pulse to see if they are with you, to finding out if a benefit you just listed would work for them, all the way to a trial close.
All of these questions are crucial to ask during the close, and after you read them I encourage you to put these into your closing scripts and outlines. They will give you the feedback you’ll need (and don’t get because you’re not in front of your prospect) to close the sale. To get the most benefit from them, begin using them today:
1. After giving any part of your presentation, you can ask, “Are you with me so far?" You can vary this with, “How does that sound?” or, “Do you see what I mean?” and, “Does that make sense?”
Always listen carefully to not only what they say, but to how they say it.
And always allow a few seconds after they respond to give them time to add something else.
2. Anytime you give a benefit, ask, “How would you use that?" or, “Could you use that?" or, “Would that work for you?” or, “Would that be of benefit in your situation?”
Again, LISTEN to what and how they respond…
3. Another good question to ask throughout your presentation is, “Do you have any questions so far?"
This is one of the best questions to ask, and it’s also one of the least used. You’d be amazed by the kinds of questions you’ll get, and each one reveals what your prospect is thinking. You must use this question often!
4. Trial closes are always good – “Does this seem to be the kind of solution you are looking for?" or, “How is this sounding so far?” or, with a smile in your voice, “Am I getting close to having a new client yet?”
Even though that sounds cheesy, you’d be amazed by how it will often break the ice and get your prospect to lower his/her guard!
5. When you're done with your presentation, always ask, “What haven’t I covered yet that is important to you?"
Boy is this a great way to end your presentation! If they tell you they don’t have any questions, then you get to ask for the order! If they do have questions, you answer them and then ask for the order!
The bottom line is that asking questions -- and then shutting up and listening -- is still one of the most important things you can do either during the qualification stage or during the close. Use the above questions during your next presentation and watch your closes get stronger and your income get bigger!
- Cold Calling Performance - Metrics Much?
- The Top Selling Myths Debunked
- Take Control of the Sales Process
- Following Up is a No-Brainer, Right?
- How NOT to Lose the Sale to the Lowest Bid
- Sales Presentation Tip: Know When to Pause and Get Results
- The Most Powerful Tool to Ensure Immediate Success
- Six Things to Avoid During a Sales Call
- Succeed in Selling Anything! Lessons from a NFL Rookie
- The Key to Spending More Time Winning Sales
- The Quarterback Lesson to Dominate Sales
- The Fundamentals of Great Customer Service
- True or False? Training Customer Service Teams
- Get Immediate Results! Solutions for Training Inside Sales Teams
- Easy Ways to Motivate Your Sales Team In a Tough Economy
- 3 Ways to Use this Magic Button with Prospects
- How to Open a Sales Call the Right Way
- Overcome "the Mother of All Smokescreen" Objections
- Closing Sales: When is an Objection NOT an Objection?
- The Magic of this Sales Technique is Good As Gold
- Do You Struggle with the Appointment Call? Here's the One Key that Helps!
- How to Take Control of the Sale and Overcome Objections
- Get Out of this Unproductive Cycle and Start Improving Sales
- Effective Layering Questions for Qualifying Prospects
- Four Secrets to Lead Sales Teams to Greatness
- The Most Important Factors Affecting Your Success
- Three Techniques That Help Identify Top Sales Reps
- 5 Things I Learned From Sales Training
- Effective Follow Up Strategies That Get Results
- The New Work Force: Building Rapport That Leads To Sales
- How to Become a "Best In Class" Sales Company
- How to Boost Sales Using Bingo
- 5 Scripts to Help Salespeople Talk with Potential Customers
- Start The New Year Selling With These Great Questions
- Five Questions That Instantly Help Close More Sales
- Four Steps to Restore Your Sanity During the Sales Cycle
- Fearless Prospecting: Here's a Crucial Lesson for Thirsty Sales Professionals
- Is it better to hire an Experienced Inside Sales Rep or Someone New in Sales?
- These Three Simple Rules are the Bedrock of Success in Sales
- What's the Most Important Tool for Evaluating Sales Reps?
- Three Keys for Successful Sales Culture Change
- Email and Voicemail Scripts that Work Best for Sales Professionals
- Learn From The NFL and Grow A Top Sales Team
- What Does It Take To Qualify A Lead? Here's the Real Secret!
- 3 Proven Secrets of Top Producers for Setting Qualified Appointments
- Smart Use of Social Media in Selling
- How to Exercise Your Way to Selling More!
- How Serious ARE You About YOUR Success?
- How to Get a Commitment on the FIRST Call
- The Benefits of a SELLING Sales Manager Leading Your Team
- The Two Best Questions to Close the Sale!
- How to Evaluate Under-Performing Sales Reps
- Do You Suffer From Call Reluctance? 3 Steps to Get Into Action Again!
- The Power Behind Bigger Sales and Top Producers
- 4th Quarter Sales: A Four Step Plan to Finish Strong
- Three Rules to Effective Up Sells
- Generate Positive Results by Using This Simple Tool for Success
- The Best Way to Handle An Email Brush Off
- 5 Things to do If Summer Sales Are Slow
- Do You Know the Secret to Being Happy and Successful?
- How Recording Your Sales Calls Can Improve Overall Performance!
- What's the Most Important Thing a Sales Manager Can Do to Drive Business?
- Four Techniques to Climb Out of That Sales Slump!
- Believe In The Law Of Attraction
- Three Tips For Successful Sales Management
- Prepare For The - I don't have the time - Objection
- Top Five Priorities To Improve Your Sales Team
- Three Keys to Setting and Reaching Your Goals
- The iPhone App in Your Head!
- Use Tie Downs to Double Your Close Rate
- Two Kinds of Sales Philosophies: What kind of closer are you?
- What the Top 20% Really Make and How Do You Get There
- Give Your Prospect Reasons to Buy
- What Does the Invisible Dollar Sign Above Your Head Say About You?
- Stop Worrying About NOT Making Enough Sales
- Success in Sales: Five Mental Attitudes of Winners
- Emails and Voice Mails that Get Your Prospect's Attention
- Five Ways to Make Your Summer Sales Sizzle
- Please Don't Hang Up! Three Techniques to Connect with Prospects
- Coaching Your Team to Use the Best Practice Selling Techniques
- Insurance Sales: Three Rebuttals to Common Objections
- Straight Selling Your Way to the Top 20%!
- How to Get Decision-Makers to Take Your Calls
- Six Email Secrets that will Lead to More Business
- 3 Responses to the "I need references" Objection
- How to Overcome the "I'll Get Back to You" Objection
- The Right Way to Open a Call
- Here is the One Real Key to Your Success
- Questions to Help Open Up the Sale
- 5 Scripts to Overcome the “Just Send Your Material” Objection
- 5 Things I Learned Last Year
- One Sentence to Establish Immediate Rapport
- How To Deal With Red Flags
- Seven Voice Mail Scripts You Must Have!
- Getting Commitment Through Out the Buying Process
- Three Interviewing Mistakes – And How To Avoid Them
- Close More Sales with This One Technique
- The Most Important Button on Your Phone
- Prospect Not Buying? Here’s Why…
- How To Make Your Sales Manager Better
- How to Build Relevant Rapport
- 5 Ways To Capitalize On the Economic Recovery
- How to Set SMART Goals
- 5 Ways to Sound More Natural on the Phone
- Can You Sell A Pencil?
- The One Secret of the Top 20%
- Don’t “Follow Up” On Your Leads!
- The Real Secret To Staying Firm On Price
- The Three ‘Real’ Secrets of Hiring Top Salespeople
- The Two Things You Can and Must Control To Succeed
- 5 Ways To Keep Your Prospect Talking
- 3 Ways To Handle the Recession Objection
- Stop Managing the Pipeline, and Start Managing Your Sales Team
- Keeping Control of the Call
- How To Listen Better
- How To Lead Powerful Sales Meetings
- 5 Ways to Have a Great 4th Quarter
- The Five Secrets of Great Vacations
- Saving Gas and Selling More: 5 Secrets of Top 20% Producers
- How To Think Like A Top 20% Producer
- Next! The real secret to dealing with rejection
- The 5 Best Openings
- I Want To Think About It
- Enthusiasm Sells!
- 5 Secrets to Effective Email
- Getting the Re-order
- The Incoming Sales Lead
- How To Hire Successful Salespeople
- The Disqualifying Question
- How to Qualify Warm Leads
- Should You Train Unmotivated Sales Reps?
- 5 Secrets to Excercising Authority
- 5 Closing Questions You Must Be Asking
- 8 Essential Tips on How to Make A Perfect Follow Up Call
- Seven Voice Mail Scripts You Must Have!
- How to Submit an Article on Sales Gravy
- What Not To Do On a Cold Call eMail
- List of Blockbuster Movies for TEAM Building
- Forget Closing The Deal | Get The Appointment!
- 5 Secrets to Effective Email
- Confirming Sales Appointments: Are You Asking For The Cancellation?
- Don't Bring a Knife to a Gun Fight
- The 5 Best Openings
- I Just Called to See How Things are Going
- Is Cold Calling Effective: Calculating the Present, Future and Net Value of a Prospect
- The Art of Effective Follow up
- Attack Yourself